Thursday, August 5, 2010

Paper Piecing 101

So, many of you may have tried your hand at paper piecing and consider yourselves old hats at it. I on the other hand am a newbie. It's been on my list of things that I've been meaning to try but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. This week's Stamping Bella challenge was to create a card using the paper piecing technique so now came sooner than later. I've had a 6x6 paper pad by Autumn Leaves titled Pretty Poppies that I thought would go nicely with the Poppy Bittybloom Stamp. Red, black, white and green is a favorite color scheme of mine anyway so from there I ran with it.



I started by stamping the image on Neenah Classic Crest solar white cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. The dress was paper pieced using the DP while the rest of the image was colored with copic markers. The shading around the image was done with prismacolor pencils and blended with gamsol and I even added VersaMagaic Wheat Chalk ink to shade the outer edge while it was still in the Nestie circle die. It added a nice white border around the image without a washed out look - love this technique. I backed this panel with green Bazzil paper cut from a Nestie Labels 3 die. This was then layerd over Autumn Leaves DP. The red cardstock is Stampin Up! Ridding Hood Red while the rest is Bazzil.

The sentiment is also by Stamping Bella but I cut it out and pieced it on cardstock because the middle word was belated. I'm trying to get cards lined up and ready to go so that I can eliminate the "belated" sentiment. Hehe - let's just see if I can stay on the roll I'm on.

Anyhoo, I think this poppy themed card is tied nicely together with the red grossgrain ribbon. Whatd'ya think?

Hope you have a great weekend!

Cath

Copic Colors:
R39, R29, E000, E00, E11, R20, E27, N6, YG03, YG00

No comments: