Thursday, March 3, 2011

An Adventure Pays Off

Yesterday I went for a little adventure with Anne, my new card making buddy in Coxsackie. Actually, she's my only buddy in Coxsackie so far but we happen to share a habit of hoarding cardmaking supplies. So with a mapquest direction sheet in hand I set out for Captured Moments, the ONLY brick and mortar Scrapbooking store in the Capital Region (Albany for all my non-NY followers). It wasn't too far, about a 40 minute drive. We were mesmerized by the creative atmosphere of the place - everywhere you looked, paper altered projects were displayed along side Shabby Chic and Antique finds. I wanted to rush to Marshalls or TJ Maxx to pick some things up myself. The store was really focused on the scrapbooker but I still came home with tons of ideas and some new paper. Next up we headed to JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby (only one week old to our area) and AC Moore. We hit them all.


I was inspired to create something totaly new to me. I love Magnolia stamps. Late last year, I actually acquired my first one but it's sadly never seen ink. JoAnn's had 10% off their magazines and they sent me an additional 10% off coupon so I bought a Magnolia Ink magazine. I love the Scandanavian style of coloring with Copics and distress inks. I know there are lots of bloggers out there that do this but I wanted some hands on photo inspiration. I got it. Today I share Tilda with Piglet. Man I had fun coloring this.

I started with Bella's Bestest paper, Memento Tuxedo black ink and copics. I added additional shading with prismacolor pencils blended with gamsol and Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I then cut her out with my new Fiskars Fingertip Control Swivel knife. Ok this makes cuting images out so much easier. Love it! Then I layered Spellbinders Classic ovals small, large and Beaded to created the image panel. I added distress inks again for a more rustic look and added Viva Decor Paper Pen in cream for the look of pearls. The sentiment is by Stamping Bella and I made it into a banner. Soft blue velvet ribbon and a scrap of white crochet ribbon help to ground the image and again give a shabby chic feel. Cardstock is Bazzil and design paper is the back side of Daisy Dreams from the Jack n'Jill Collection by Prima Marketing.

Here's a closeup...


So what do ya think? Totaly outside my comfort zone but I like the result.

Have a great day!

Cath

5 comments:

Olga V. said...

Awesome card, Cath! Love the colour combination and the image colouring is just stunning! I'm always scared to cut coloured images - I'm not a friend of scissors or cutting knives; I mean they always, ALWAYS slip and make a cut where I don't want to have a cut! Well, the bottom line - you just got an admirer for such a neat cutting!

Anonymous said...

Cath, this card is adorable! I can see why you had fun with it. So glad to hear you have a fellow crafting buddy in town. It's always fun when you can share your passion with someone else who loves to do what you do. Enjoy the weekend. :)

Grammy Grams said...

Cathy, she's adorable! Love the colors and layout and the white crocheted ribbon is a perfect accent. Great job.

Ebru Vatansever said...

Cath, this is a gorguss card, I LOVE the coloring job on this image.

Priscilla said...

GORGEOUS card, Cathy! You did such an awesome job of coloring this image. I visit your blog often and love your work. {{hugs}}