Saturday, March 6, 2010

Copics anyone?

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it's been forever since you saw me here. A couple of things have gotten in the way. First, I have not been able to figure out how to use my new photo software with my new computer. Therefore, I have not been able to upload pictures. I finally broke down today and gave it a whirl on my old computer. It's on it's last legs but it's trying. The next item that got in the way is that I am finally getting into teaching beginner Copic classes at Mary Maxim's in Fort Gratiot, MI. It meant spending some time picking the picture, Copic colors and cutting out enough for 10 students to have a practice image and a final card.

So my first card is a sample of the card we did in class today...



The image is a clear photopolymer stamp by Gillian Roberts titled Being Together from the Stampavie line. Mary Maxim's will be stocking these after finding them at the recent CHA show. They've been a little slow getting their stock in however, so I used the sample they gave out at the show. I used a friendship sentiment inside but left the front of the card focused on the Copic colored image.

I know this was a pretty detailed first card to make but it used some techniques we learned in class; layering colors and sometimes blending colors. Some of us even used the colorless blender to add texture or erase mistakes.

We had 10 women that attended this class and I had a ball. I hope I wasn't too overwhelming with my not so quiet voice and the limited time we had to do a sample and then a final try at our card image. I think that everyone did a great job substituting with colors they owned or sharing with their neighbors. 17 colors were combined to make this image come to life and although I would have liked to make it just a little fewer to get everyone started, I knew that to get the true feel of the markers it takes multiple colors to do it. One good thing is that I had lots of brown to work with so we doubled up alot and the E31 sure got used alot.

I can't wait to do my next class - Monday, March 29th. I'm hoping to color a Mo Manning image that is also being sold by Stampavie in clear photopolymer. Mo used to sell her images digitally only but has recently made a select few available in "rubber". I can't wait for Mary Maxim's to get these in - everyone knows how much I love Mo's images. They just scream to be colored.

I'd like to give a little shout out to Maria from Sarnia, Canada - whom I finally got to meet in my class today. Although, I'm not sure why she was in a beginner class, she's great! She brought some of her creations with her and they were beautiful. Check out her blog here. So glad to meet you Maria - I look forward to creating with you in the future.


Next up is a Birthday Bella I made for my nephew Addison. I know that I've colored this up before but I changed the colors a little. The main reason was I made this in NY and forgot my teal colors in MI but I actually like the way the red sections link the red background paper. It also pulls the red from the DP which is by Cosmo Cricket. I love, love, love this paper.



Coloring was done with Prisma pencils and gamsol. The image is The Birthday boy by Stamping Bella. Pretty easy once you get the coloring done...of course that took me about an hour and I'm sure my 5 year old nephew didn't much notice the time I put into it but I had so much fun bringing this little guy to life!


Lastly...I made this bride up as an Engagement congratulations for a friend's daughter. The stamp is by Whipper Snapper Designs titled Modern Bride.



I saw this in Mary Maxim's and have had it for months. I just have not made the time to put her together. I was pleasantly pleased that she took a little over 10 minutes to color. Once you get the color technique for skin, highlighting and such the color selection choices you have to make become much easier. I find that E11, E00, and E000 work for me. These three are now my "go to" and became the largest part of the stamp. Next use two complimentary reds for the flowers, greens for the stems, and yellow for the hair. I actually used the same face, hair, and reds from the class I did today so that students could see the versatility of their stash. The cool blue highlight gave the impression of shadow but let you know the dress is white.

Glitter highlights in the hair and along the back of the dress helped give dimension and a small pearl became the only jewelry needed for this bride! Here's a close up for you...



The design paper here is by Me & My Big Ideas and is simply titled, Specialty Cardstock. It's filled with bold colors and some glitter highlights. This particular page did not have glitter but I loved the black, white, soft teal combo.

That's it for today folks. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cath

2 comments:

lizzy giggs said...

Wow! Awesome cards Cathy! The pictures and close-ups are really well done and the copic coloring is great! I'm glad you are sharing your expertise and giving classes!

William said...

Funny that the engagement card is called "Modern Bride" - my thought was, "Wow! Classy!" Beautiful cards, as always. We're heading down to see Dan and Karissa and the boys this weekend!