Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer means Treats!

I promised you another before the weekend came to a close and here it is! Hope you likey! With Summer whipping by I decided to color up an image that has always had me thinking of summer's treats. These are the Turtle Tots Summer Girls by Stamping Bella . See even Emily thought they reminded her of Summer!

I stamped the girls onto Bella's Bestest paper using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I then colored with copics. Ground and surround shading was done with prismacolor pencils blended with gamsol. Now I've had quite a few questions about how I add the surround shading. I accomplish it in two steps. First I add color with pencils around the image. There are quite a few really great tuitorials out there and some from my fellow Bella Babes but here are some pictures to help you out.

First I apply the pencils in circular motion around the image. Like this...

Then I add gamsol to my blending stump and in a circular movement swirl the into the upper area and pull out and across. This will blend the color and allow you to stretch it across the white space. It will end up looking like this...

Then I put the image panel back into the Nestie Die and onto a mat.

Then I dip a sponge into VersaMagic Chalk ink in Wheat and start by swirling in a circular motion on to the mat and then pull on to the image to fill in the white space. Move the image around as you go - I like to pull down so the image is always below and the sponge is always on top for me. But do what feels comfortable for you.

And then when you take the die off it looks like this! Phew. Hope that helps you guys!

Ok now I'm off to watch the Olympics Closing ceremonies. See ya back here later in the week.

Thanks for stopping by,
Cath



6 comments:

Pauline said...

Cath, this is so sweet! Your colour & shading is wonderful, love the die you used, they just fit in there perfectly.

Carla Murphy said...

This is beautiful Cath! Such perfect colouring & blending!!

Mary J said...

Gorgeous colouring, Cath! I love tghose papers with that very cute image!

Jenny said...

What super cute turtles and ta heaps for the colouring/inking tutorial. Fab card Cath! x

Leslie said...

Love the card Cath and LOVE the tutorial! I'm a 'visual' person so this is great!!! Thanks!!!

Dana White said...

This is a total summer image. The shading on the turtles is perfect and great tutorial for the shading!!